Gamer's Choice Radio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The ultimate place for gamers around the globe to enjoy great music and DJ's, catch up on the latest in gaming news, and to express themselves as a member of the most awesome gaming community on the internet.

4 posters

Foreign Music

Rivkah
    Rivkah

Snake
    Birthday : 1989-12-19

Foreign Music Empty Foreign Music

Post  Rivkah Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:44 am

The best part of the internet (aside from easy research for those of us who still have those annoying essays to write for classes >.< ) is access to the entire world, and the different cultures therein - and a huge part of that is music. Places like YouTube and Playlist.com, and of course torrents, make it extremely easy to get any kind of music you want, from any culture. I think it's a lot of fun to listen to music in different languages just because I enjoy the sound of the foreign words. Language really is a kind of art, and it can be very interesting to just sit and listen to stuff in a different tongue. And, of course, there's also that each country has it's own unique style of music, too. For example, rock began largely as an American phenomenon, I think, starting in the 40s and 50s, and (barring England) took a while to filter into popular taste in other countries. And if you go to Guam, you'd be hard-pressed to find diehard rock fans, with most people here preferring to listen to reggae, island, and hip-hop. Yes, the radio here sucks. I would have perished from insanity long ago if not for the iPod jack in my car. But the point is that different countries all have different flavours of music.

So I'm wondering what kind of world music you guys are all into!

Here's some of my favourites:

~ t.A.T.u. - I think just about everyone on the planet has heard of this pair. Russian sounds so cool, I just love listening to them! All The Things She Said is probably the most famous song they've done, but I also like the song Robot, and some others.

~ KYO - a french rock band. I think my favourite songs from them are Contact and Respire. You can go here and here to listen to them, respectively.

~ Enya - not sure if they are Irish or Scottish or what, but they do stuff in both English and Gaelic, and the Gaelic is amazingly beautiful. She sang a song for the LoTR movie, called either Arwen and Aragorn's Song or The Council of Elrond, depending on who you ask =P You can listen to it on this page (I'd recommend the second song listed, even though the first one has sharper quality).

~ Basshunter - of course, no world music playlist would be complete without him. I'm sure Ariah's heard of him, since he does mostly dance music (though it's not the sort of thing you'd find at a rave). I think Boten Anna is the most famous, along with its english counterpart, Now You're Gone.

So tell me, tell me, what kind of foreign music y'all are into Very Happy bounce
    Elven's Angel
    Elven's Angel

Snake
    Birthday : 1989-03-27

Foreign Music Empty Re: Foreign Music

Post  Elven's Angel Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:37 pm

Only foreign bands I really listen to are Japanese. Dir En Grey. Miyavi. Blam Honey. X - Japan. Gackt.
    Ariah
    Ariah
    Admin

Buffalo
    Birthday : 1985-04-11

Post  Ariah Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:31 am

t.A.T.u is one of my faves also. Along with HIM, Rammstein, Toshira Masuda, Ziggy Marley and probably a bunch of other stuff that I don't keep up with well enough to know whether the bands are from the U.S.A. or not. And Rivkah, thank you very much for getting me hooked on Anberlin and KYO, even tho I don't understand KYO lol, they are awesome! And I guess I would have to include Josh Groban since he sings songs in English, Spanish, Latin and French. I like Shakira too, I can enjoy many of her songs in English and Spanish.
    Keena
    Keena

Cat
    Birthday : 1988-02-12

Post  Keena Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:49 am

Hey Riv, Enya is Celtic actualy I know because she is one of my faves too.

I love t.A.T.u along with L'Arc'en'Ciel and Gackt..yummy...*Looks around* Oh, sorry. *Smiles*

Of course I love good old classics here in the US. Such as Metallica, Staind, Alice in Chains, Disturbed, Korn, Rob Zombie...wow that lists goes on doesn't it?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 pm