Gamer's Choice Radio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The ultimate place for gamers around the globe to enjoy great music and DJ's, catch up on the latest in gaming news, and to express themselves as a member of the most awesome gaming community on the internet.

2 posters

NWN Module: Mystrix

ZainZalon
    ZainZalon
    Admin

Cat
    Birthday : 1987-06-10
    Humor : "Wait....you want to take agro? Okay, I'll just be over here....*whispers* laughing my butt off"

NWN Module: Mystrix Empty NWN Module: Mystrix

Post  ZainZalon Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:31 pm

Hey all, Zain here once again for the 7th edition of “Zain’s Gaming Reviews.” (I am still shocked that no one has had any problems with the reviews yet!)

Well, I figured that this review should involve something more unique than normal. So, this week, I will be reviewing the NWN player created module, Mystrix.

Now this module is unique in the fact that it is a persistent world. Basically, this means that it’s never ending. Now, I do not know when exactly this was created, however I know it has been in the works for years. It finally started to come to fruition recently. It uses the NWN engine in order to operate it, so you do need the game and the two expansions. If you have those, all you have to do is download the player content from their site at http://mystrixonline.com for free.

The game itself is unique other than the NWN engine that used. The world is nothing like the world of NWN, from crafting to fighting. It is a strict rp world, so you have to play the character you create. As a friend of mine would say, if you created a drunken dwarf, you had to play the drunken dwarf. Even still, it is extremely fun to do so.

Review time!

Graphics: Okay, the graphics are pretty much the same as they were in NWN due to the engine that is used; however, the creators have made all sorts of sweet tweaks to make it even better.
    Reward: ☆☆☆☆☆

Storyline: It’s a persistent world. This means that the story will never end! Now that may seem boring, but really, it’s not. It makes it unique in the fact that there may be times when what you are working on could in fact change the world itself.

Interface: The one problem... while the interface is the same as NWN, it’s actually a lot more complicated when you add all the new features like crafting. In this one for example, let’s say you want to make a sword, you have to mine the ore (which has different ores depending on the deposit), then smelt it. Then you have to get clay to make a mold, THEN take it to the anvil to attempt to make it and every time you do something, you have a chance to fail or succeed.
    Reward: ☆☆☆☆

Music: The music that normally comes in with NWN is there, however, if you go to the Mystrix website, you’ll find in addition to all the content, a lot of custom music too. I’d say right there, that is sweet.

Cost: : As long as you have NWN (and its two expansions), then all of this is completely free. Even if you don’t, you are only spending the $19.99 for the diamond edition of NWN and then just have to download the content from the website.

Okay, with that, I have to give this a 4 out of 5 rating.

Well, I hope you all enjoyed this review, next week is another surprise so stay tuned to “Zain’s Gaming Reviews.”
    Rivkah
    Rivkah

Snake
    Birthday : 1989-12-19

NWN Module: Mystrix Empty Re: NWN Module: Mystrix

Post  Rivkah Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:45 am

So how exactly does this user-made content stuff work? I mean, I know what it is and everything, but does the person who wants to use the NWN engine have to pay for the ability to do so? Or are the engines used by games like NWN available for any enterprising individual to DL and play around with?

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 11:33 am