Gamer's Choice Radio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The ultimate place for gamers around the globe to enjoy great music and DJ's, catch up on the latest in gaming news, and to express themselves as a member of the most awesome gaming community on the internet.

Blademaster Guide

ZainZalon
    ZainZalon
    Admin

Cat
    Birthday : 1987-06-10
    Humor : "Wait....you want to take agro? Okay, I'll just be over here....*whispers* laughing my butt off"

Blademaster Guide Empty Blademaster Guide

Post  ZainZalon Sat May 30, 2009 4:01 pm

Contents:

1) Introduction
    2) Weapons
    3) Stats
    4) Skills
    5) Suggestions

1) Introduction

Well, I figured that someone should put up something that vaguely resembles a guild towards BMs and since everyone asks me, I might as well post it.

First thing I need to say before I start, BMs are NOT tanks. That is the role of a Barb. We deal the damage, however while we aren't true tanks, in emergency situations, such as the barb going down, the BM can take over as a back-up tank with a cleric keeping the heals going, but only a back up.

Alright, so, before I start with the stats and skills, you need to decide what weapon style to go with. It will be very hard, though not impossible, to use all four melee style weapons. It is costly though.

2) Weapons:

Fists/Claws: These are speed weapons. They hit the fastest, making the damage add up quick. However they require the most dex and a bit of str, almost as much dex as an archer needs. Most likely you'll be using light armor with these (thankfully the dex also raises your evasion so you'll be dodging a lot of physical attacks).

Swords/Blades: These are the style of weapons that at first glance a BM would use. They aren't as fast as fists, but they hit harder. Str and dex are required, but you'll be able to wear heavy armor with these. Also as a subtype, there are single swords and blades and dual swords and blades. Preference as always.

Polearms (except poleaxes and polehammers): Standard Solider based weapons. Stronger than the Swords/Blades. Less dex needed, so heavy armor will still be available.

Axes/Hammers: Strongest weapons that a BM can use, but also the slowest. Very high str and low dex reqs. All you need is enough to wear your armor and you can wield these. Dual Axes, Dual Hammers, Poleaxes and Polehammers fall under this catagory.

Now, I personal preference is the axes due to the AoE skills that they get (which will be explained shortly).

3) Stats:

There isn't much I can say about this area because every person will vary their stats to suit their build. Depending on the weapon style, the stats will vary. I would recommend that you put something towards Vit (for health) and Mag (for mp). Vit is obvious so if you have to take a hit, you can. Mag, the skills that you will use tend to eat up a lot of your mp. As far as Str and Dex, put what you need to wear your weapons and armor and then decide from there.

4) Skills:

Okay, the fun part, I'll go into each skill that we get (thanks in part to ecatomb.net for details on the skills). Also if you want my suggestions, scroll on down to the bottom of this post

Tiger Maw:
    Receive at: lvl 1

Okay, this is the very basic skill you get when you start the game. I have seen a lot of BMs not use this skill because it seems to be weak. I, however, find it is a very good skill to get maxed out. At max lvl of Tiger Maw, the skill only uses 65 mana and does base physical damage +866.7. I would recommend maxing it out due to the low cost.

Draw Blood:
    Receive at: lvl 3
    Required Skill: Tiger Maw

The next skill you receive. This is another basic skill. This one though does a DoT (Damage over Time) bleed. Definitely max it out. At lvl 10, this only takes 53.8 mana (even less than Tiger Maw) and deals 1897.5 over 15 seconds. Since this is the only real DoT that all the BMs can use, there is no reason NOT to lvl this to max.

Drake's Ray:
    Receive at: lvl 6

The first ranged attack that BMs get. At the first lvl, it hits from 7.3 meters, which is not going to allow you to attack before the mobs come at you. However, it's real advantage lies in squads with a veno. The veno pulls a mob, the BM moves in, uses this to turn the attention of the mob away from the veno. The veno's pet or the barb then can take the agro away from the BM. There is no reason to max this out right away as it only goes to 10 meters, but you should put some points into it.

Stream Strike:
    Receive at: lvl 9
    Required Skill: Draw Blood

The first skill that you'll get that uses chi. Needs 30 chi for the skill to work so you won't be using it a lot. Now, it says that it increases your threat lvl which is suppose to turn the mobs that you are attacking towards you, but I have yet to see it in action. You do however need to get at least lvl 1 on it for the better skills on the way.

Cloud Sprint
    Receive at: lvl 9

This is the speed skill that BMs get. Gives them an increase to their movement rate for 15 seconds. This helps greatly against those mobs that like to run away from you. Keeps that distance close so you can smack them when they are starting their attack.

Alter Marrow Magical
    Receive at: lvl 16

The only way that a BM can handle a magic attacking mob. This skill raises your mag def by lowering your physical def. At lvl one, it's a 30% switch, lvl 10 it's a 120% switch for 30 seconds. I would definitely suggest some points into this as it will help greatly against pure magic mobs.

Aura of the Golden Bell
    Receive at: lvl 19

The first party buff that you get. Get it and max it as soon as possible. This increases the party and your physical def. At max lvl, it gives a 60% increase, but be warned, it uses 400 mana to do this (which is why I suggested some mag in your stats).

Aeolian Blade
    Receive at: lvl 19
    Required skill: Stream Strike

The first stun skill that a BM can get. Max this skill out. While the stun chance is low, 23% at lvl 1 and 50% at lvl 10, the damage makes it worth it. Plus more times than most, you will hit that stun.

Roar of the Pride
    Receive at: lvl 23

This is the AoE stun that makes a BM a threat against mobs. If you are getting overwhelmed or are in an AoE squad, this skill is vital. It uses 35 chi, but as you increase the lvl, the stun gets longer and has a better chance of succeeding in the stun.

Alter Marrow Physical
    Receive at: lvl 23
    Required skill: Alter Marrow Magical

The other defense alter skill that BMs get. As the name suggests, it changes the physical defense. 30% physical increase in exchange for a loss of 30% magical def. Definitely a skill that can save you against anything that attacks physical. You'll want it up a ways, just like Alter Marrow Magical.

Ocean's Edge
    Receive at: lvl 26
    Required skill: Drake's Ray

The first slow skill that you get. A bane to archer and magic mobs that run as it slows them down. A definite skill you should lvl, but it will be costly as the spirit and money go up fast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before I continue, this is where, if you haven't picked your weapon out, now is the time. The skill trees coming up are weapon specific and will be listed as such.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mage Bane
    Receive at: lvl 29
    Required Skill: Aeolian Blade
    Required Weapon: Swords/Blades

For the Swords/Blades, this is your first spark skill and you need to get it for the next skills. This skill can be a pain to those that have to skills that require a bit for channeling as it does basic damage +857.8 at lvl 1 plus slows the channeling time of the target by 50%.

Piercing Winds
    Required Weapon: Polearms

For those that use Polearms, this is your first spark skill and as with Swords and Mage Bane, you need this one. This one is interesting, it's attacks everything in a line, lvl 1 up to 8.4 meters. It is a damage plus a Dot. Now, whether it hits the DoT on each mob in the line, I don't know. Confirmation please on that.

Drake Bash
    Required Weapon: Axes/Hammers

For those that use Axes/Hammers, this is your first spark skill and as with the last two weapons, you need it. This one shows the damage potential of axes/hammers doing a percent of your weapon damage plus base physical damage plus 905.7 (at lvl 1). It also hits with a stun. So, the only way the stun doesn't work is if the attack misses or it's a boss that is immune to stuns.

Vacuous Palm
    Required Weapon: Unarmed/Fists/Claws

For those that use Fists/Claws, this is your first spark skill and as with the last three weapons, you need it. This one really isn't special. Does base damage plus 857.8 (at lvl 1) and decreases target's speed for 8 seconds. Truly, if you were looking for the slow, Ocean's Edge is better off, but you do need it and does good damage, so it's 50/50.

Blade & Sword Mastery
    Required Weapon: Swords/Blades

Increases weapon damage. Get it maxed out so you have a 60% increase to your damage output with these weapons.

Polearm Mastery
    Required Weapon: Polearms

Increases weapon damage. Get it maxed out so you have a 60% increase to your damage output with these weapons.

Axe & Hammer Mastery
    Required Weapon: Axe/Hammers

ZainZalon
    ZainZalon
    Admin

Cat
    Birthday : 1987-06-10
    Humor : "Wait....you want to take agro? Okay, I'll just be over here....*whispers* laughing my butt off"

Blademaster Guide Empty Re: Blademaster Guide

Post  ZainZalon Sat May 30, 2009 4:01 pm

Fist Weapon Mastery
    Required Weapon: Fists/Claws

Diamond Sutra

The only Self-Heal that a BM gets. While it does use a spark, it is a skill you want to max out as soon as possible. First it instantly recovers 20% of your max hp. Then it recovers an addition amount of 15 seconds, from 250 at lvl 1 to 1600 at lvl 10.

Tiger Leap

This skill is interesting, it allows you to leap foward to a certain distance. It can be useful against those mobs that like to switch from magic to physical when you get into melee, but I found that Cloud Sprint and Aeolian Blade work better. Also, this skill requires 25 chi to even use it.

Leap Back

Now this skill has much more effectiveness. This allows you to spring back away from a mob at a set distance (same distance as Tiger Leap). The best use is against mobs that tend to self-destruct when they die. If you time this just right, you can get away before you take any damage from the explosion. It does use 15 chi though.

Fan of Flames
    Receive at: lvl 34
    Required skill: Ocean's Edge

This is a directional AoE that BMs get. It hits everything in a fan like attack. Imagine a paper-fan. The connector is you, the edges of the fan are the mobs. It's decent and you'll want it for the next AoE.

Spirit Chaser

Receive at: lvl 39
    Required skill: Mage Bane
    Required weapon: Swords/Blades

In basic terms, this is a powered up version of Drake's Ray. For those that use the Swords and Blades, you'll be replacing Drake's Ray for this. It has a longer range, better damage, and has the same cool down time. The only catch is that it uses more mana.

Farstrike

Required skill: Piercing Winds
    Required weapon: Polearms

Another upgrade to Drake's Ray. This skill also hits from a range. Like Spirit Chaser, this does better damage, has a longer range and same cool down time. As with Spirit Chaser as well, this uses more mana than Drake's Ray.

Highland Cleave
    Required skill: Drake Bash
    Required weapon: Axe/Hammer

The true reason you went axe/hammer. From now on, every skill down this tree does AoE damage. This one does a base physical damage plus a percent of your weapon damage plus a set amount of damage and hits everything within 10 meters.

Shadowless Kick
    Required skill: Vacuous Palm
    Required weapon: Unarmed/Fists/Claw

This skill is just devasting to anyone who has a cast time. It interrupts the casting of the target and deals base physical damage plus a set amount of damage.

Drake Sweep
    Receive at: lvl 44
    Required skill: Fan of Flames

For most of the weapon users, this will be your first AoE damager. Hits everything with base physical damage plus a set damage to everything in an 8 meter radius.

Atmos Strike
    Receive at: lvl 49
    Required skill: Spirit Chaser

This is a nasty one for those with the sword/blade. It deals base physical damage plus a percent of weapon damage plus a set amount of damage. Then it knocks the target back a set amount of meters. If you are in trouble, you can just send the mob flying back for a breather.

Meteor Rush
    Required skill: Farstrike

This one can really hurt. Deals damage to anything in a set amount of meters in front of you dealing base damage plus a set damage. It also knocks them back the same amount of meters as Atmos Strike.

Fissure
    Required skill: Highland Cleave
    Required weapon: Axes/Hammers

The second AoE that requires Axes/Hammers. This one deals damage to everything in 10 meters. Hits base physical damage plus a set amount and slows them. Definitely a skill you'll want.

Cyclone Heel
    Required skill: Shadowless Kick
    Required weapon: Unarmed/Fist/Claw

The first weapon specfic AoE for Fists/Claws. Hits everything in an 8 meter range, dealing base physical damage plus a percent of weapon damage plus a set amount of damage. It also increases the attack speed by a percentage for a few seconds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, the next 4 skills all require 2 sparks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Myriad Sword Stance
    Receive at: lvl 59
    Required skill: Atmos Strike

This is the first and only weapon specfic AoE for the sword/blade. Hits everything within a certain range, dealing a large percent of weapon damage plus base physical damage plus an additional heavy damage. It also reduces the enemies physical and magical attack by a percent for 15 seconds.

Glacial Spike
    Required skill: Meteor Rush

The first and only weapon specfic AoE for the Polearms. Deals damage to enemies in a 12 meter radius around you, doing base physical damage plus a percent of weapon damage plus heavy damage. Also weakens all enemies physical and magical defense that were hit by this.

Heaven's Flame
    Required skill: Fissure
    Required weapon: Axes/Hammers

The final weapon specfic AoE for Axes/Hammers. Deals base physical damage plus a percent of weapon damage plus heavy damage. It hits every enemy within 12 meters of the target and causes the enemies to suffer a percent of the damage over 6 seconds.

Drake's Breath Bash
    Required skill: Cyclone Heel
    Required weapon: Unarmed/Fist/Claw

The second and final weapon specfic AoE for Fists/Claws. Hits creatures in a line for a certain amount of meters. Deals base physical damage plus a percent of weapon damage plus heavy damage. Also for 15 seconds, all normal attacks gain fire damage equal to a percent of weapon damage.

Will of the Bodhisatva
    Required skill: Cloud Sprint Lvl 10 (yes I said Lvl 10)

This skill requires a spark, but increases your movement speed by 100%, evasion while moving by 100%, grants immunity to stun and freeze for 15 seconds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The following skills are for 79+. I have yet to access them, but I will tell what they do here.

Smack
    Receive at: lvl 79

This hits an enemy at a distance of 18 meters. It deals base physical damage plus 100% of base physical damage plus 1000 and also seels the target for 2-3 seconds. It requires 15 chi.

Bolt of Tyreseus
    Required Weapon: Unarmed/Fists/Claws

This hits enemies from 12 meters away for 260% of base physical damage plus an unknown amount of weapon damage to all enemies in range. Also reduces movement speed and attack rate by 30%, freezes targets and caster for 5 seconds. Also increases the enemies channel time by 50%. It requires 1 spark.

Dragon Bane

This skill requires a spark. It lowers attack power by 50% to increase critical hit rate by 25% for 30 seconds.

Flash
    Receive at: lvl 100

This skill can kill if used just right. This skill deals 150% of physical damage to the target plus an addition 150% of caster's current HP subtracted from max HP. Requires 2 sparks.

Buddha's Guard
    Receive at: lvl 100

This is the second party buff for the BMs. Increases all nearby squad members equipement's physical defense by
    1000 (yes, 1,000) for 10 seconds. Also recovers 20% of caster's max hp over 15 seconds.

5) Suggestions

Now, you are probably curious as to what skills I suggest. Well, I can suggest the basic skills that don't require weapons. AoE fighting is next.

Skills to max:

Tiger Maw: Cheap, quick, does decent damage.
    Draw Blood: Effective DoT.
    Aeolian Blade: Stuns can make a difference
    Aura of the Golden Bell: That 60% increase to physical defense will help.
    Roar of the Pride: AoE Stun. Enough said.
    Ocean's Edge: Slow can be all the difference against a runner.
    Diamond Sutra: Self-heal can be the life saver. Max it.
    Weapon Masteries: Which ever weapon tree you go down, get that mastery maxed.

Skills that you need to get, but not necessary to max out:

Alter Marrow Magical
    Alter Marrow Physical
    Drake Sweep
    Drake's Ray
    Choosen weapon Tree.

Skills that you can get for fun, but only if you have the spirit and gold:
    Tiger Leap
    Leap Back
    Cloud Sprint
    Will of the Bodhisatva
    Stream Strike

AoE fighting:

Those that want to fight AoE combat, these are the skills for you:

Roar of the Pride: All weapon styles can use this.
    Drake Sweep: All weapon styles can use this.
    Fan of Flames: While not a true AoE like the others, this will still help.
    Highland Cleave: Axes and Hammers only.
    Fissure: Axes and Hammers only.
    Cyclone Heel: Fists and Claws only.
    Myriad Sword Stance: Swords/Blades only.
    Glacial Spike: Polearms only.
    Heaven's Flame: Axes and Hammers only.

So, the way you should attack in an AoE style is like this:

For everyone but Axes/Hammers
    Roar of the Pride ---> Drake Sweep ---> Fan of Flames ---> Weapon AoE ---> Attack

For Axes/Hammers:
    Roar of the Pride ---> Drake Sweep ---> Highland Cleave ---> Fissure ---> Fan of Flames --->Drake Sweep ---> Weapon AoE ---> Attack

As you can see, the Axes/Hammer are best for AoE. Polearms for straight line damage. Swords and Blades for precision hits. Finally Fists/Claws for quick spike hits.

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:15 am